Collective Water Action
There’s no one-size-fits-all solution for today’s water challenges.
How we use, manage, and restore water will dictate our future.
That’s why BEF created Business For Water Stewardship™ – to help businesses work collaboratively with community and policy stakeholders to advance solutions that ensure people, economies, and ecosystems have enough clean water to flourish. Our team unlocks collective corporate action to accelerate real, measurable, and lasting solutions for water, nature, and business.
WATER RESTORATION DEFINED
When we talk about water restoration, we’re talking about creative projects and solutions that help us do more with less water. Projects that restore water reduce the strain on our freshwater resources by changing the way that we manage, divert, and use water. These projects are designed to increase the resilience of our freshwater systems and deliver benefits to people and nature.
This looks like:
- Using less water in agriculture so there is more water to support environmental, cultural or recreational uses.
- Improving wetland and river bank habitat to deliver more water to sustain biodiversity and fish and wildlife populations.
- Restoring natural habitats to reduce erosion and recharge more water to local aquifers
- Capturing and reducing polluted water for better water quality in wetlands and rural and urban communities.
- Providing access to more clean, safe water for more people.
Our Core Values
Our leadership on water is guided by our core values:
- We honor local project partners by respecting their knowledge and community needs.
- We join with a diverse set of partners who each contribute to more inclusive and equitable climate and water solutions.
- We embrace collaboration with our respected peers to help accelerate critical water restoration and conservation.
- We ignite broader participation to accelerate a water stewardship movement that scales and leverages business engagement.
Over the past eleven years, the BWS program has worked with corporate partners to invest over $24 million in community-driven water restoration projects across North America, and increasingly globally.
The BWS Project Bank contains descriptions of funded projects. The platform represents the work and leadership of dozens of NGO groups working to protect and enhance freshwater resources across North America.
To date, the BWS program has
- Engaged 90+ corporate sponsors
- Provided $24 million in project funding
- Funded 280+ restoration projects
- Restored 36.7 billion gallons of water
Water Restoration Certificates
Innovative companies trust BEF to provide verified, high-quality water projects that balance their water footprint, gallon-for-gallon.
Our WRCs® can help your brand make a water claim on product packaging, meet Alliance for Water Stewardship Standards, or achieve B-Corporation or LEED® certification. Together we can improve rivers, wetlands, meadows, and groundwater across North America.
For more information on how Water Restoration Certificates can help balance your water footprint, visit the BEF website.
Verifiable Registration & Tracking
Our WRCs are third-party verified, tracked, and registered so you never have to worry about the quality of your impact or investment.